São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Brazilian Social Studies/World Course Teacher, Grades 6-11
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start: July 2020
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school from New York City, offering a truly global education, opened in São Paulo in August 2018 and is expanding to other global cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through language immersion in English and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
At Avenues São Paulo, Brazilian history and geography are part of the World Course, whose goal is to develop empathetic, engaged members of their communities.
The course asks big questions: Who am I? To whom am I responsible? Which voices do you listen to, and which do you ignore? How do you understand and promote "the good life"? It challenges students through creative interdisciplinary projects, like following a coffee bean back to its source farm, or creating industrial art that addresses religious pluralism. And it explores pressing national and global issues such as climate change, social conflict, and inequality.
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction to address individual needs
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to design interdisciplinary projects and continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
Avenues SP World Course teachers come from a variety of backgrounds, and bring all or most of the following:
- Deep understanding of Brazilian history and geography
- Skill at situating topics specific to Brazil in broader, global contexts
- English proficiency to engage in meaningful professional collaboration with English-speaking colleagues
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
- Pedagogy that engages all students in interesting, meaningful and challenging work
- Extensive experience working outside of Brazil, and/or with diverse communities in Brazil, highly preferred
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English or Portuguese, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.