São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Dean & College Counselor, Grades 10-12
Location: Avenues São Paulo
Start date: July 2020
WHO ARE WE?
Avenues is a top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education. We have opened in São Paulo in August 2018 and will be expanding to other of the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through language immersion in English and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
The dean of students for grades 10-12 at Avenues is the school leader responsible for shepherding students through the entire college process, ensuring their holistic development and partnering deeply with their families. The dean is an advisor, a teacher, and a listener who works with students and families from tenth grade to graduation on educational, social and emotional needs.
At Avenues, deans begin working with students in the tenth grade year to ensure that each student is deeply and effectively supported by caring adults who know him or her very well. In addition, deans serve as college counselors, providing holistic support for students and guiding them (and their families) to well-chosen higher education.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Be a college champion
- Expertly guide the entire college process, from early in sophomore year through each student matriculating at a great-fit school in Brazil, the U.S. or another country
- Build and maintain strong, trusting relationships with students and their families
- Collaborate with a team of talented deans committed to the well-being and success of Avenues students
- Lead daytime and/or evening programs for parents and students on special topics
Nurture students' growth and development
- Advise and guide a total of 80-90 students and their families in grades 10-12 each year. Your students will feel known and well supported; their families will rave about you.
- Teach, and help refine, a socio-emotional learning curriculum
- Monitor and give guidance on students’ academic progress and overall well-being
- Develop plans to support students' success in school, and follow through with colleagues and families to ensure student needs are met
- Be the primary point of contact for families and colleagues about individual students
Be a leader
- Be relentlessly resourceful and highly collaborative, guiding colleagues on how to best support each individual student's success, growth and happiness
- As part of an upper division leadership team, contribute to overall division leadership
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years of experience in college admissions and/or college counseling
- Expertise in guiding students through the college process, to schools where they thrive
- A strong understanding of the college admissions landscape and trends
- Extraordinary ability to build relationships with high school students and their families
- Ability to identify opportunities to support students, take action and mobilize resources on their behalf
- Clear, compelling communication skills in writing and speaking, individually and in large groups
- High emotional intelligence to navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; an ability to smoothly handle multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast-moving environment
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.