Position: School Security Guard
Location:New York, NY
Reports to: Director of Security
WHY WORK AT AVENUES
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. There is no place quite like Avenues.
The School Security Guard will be assigned to a single or multiple posts during their shift to enforce school rules and security protocol; ensure the security of the students, staff, parents and visitors; and to prevent damage to the school facilities. He/She will establish a rapport with the students and staff to provide an atmosphere that is safe, secure and conducive to the proper functioning of the school. The guard will provide assistance to all students, parents, staff members and visitors by either personally resolving problems or referring them to the appropriate person for assistance. Work will require independent judgment and is performed under the supervision of the security supervisor for his/her shift who will provide annual evaluations.
School Security Guards at Avenues:
- Monitor the main lobbies and entrances and other areas of school building while on post in person and or by utilizing the CCTV system
- Access control of the various building entrances and exits
- Welcome and greet students, staff and visitors with courtesy, professionalism and respect as per our school mission
- Communicate school policies and enforcement procedures to students, staff and visitors to ensure their understanding of policies and the potential consequences of violation
- Confront unauthorized persons for questioning, rerouting or detaining them as appropriate and issuing verbal trespass warnings to people not on school premises for legitimate reasons; call for assistance as needed
- Report any inappropriate activities or unauthorized persons on or around campus
- Escort students as may be required to ensure students are at appropriate locations
- Assist teachers and administrators in the loading and unloading of school buses, making sure safe and courteous conduct is observed
- Assist with traffic control on 10thAvenue during arrivals and dismissals
- Resolve student conflicts in a safe and professional manner, making referrals involving student misconduct as appropriate
- Assist other personnel as required to ensure a safe, efficient and effective work and learning environment
- Check incoming work related emails in a timely fashion
- Security guards assigned to the main lobby during normal school days will require Fire Safety Director credentials and assume the role as Fire safety Director for their shift
Candidates should have most, if not all, of the following:
- Minimum of ten years experience in a law enforcement-related field preferred, or
- Bachelor’s degree from a New York State accredited College or High School Diploma with and 3 years of security experience in a school setting or substantial contact with youth in a recreational setting
- Current New York State security guard license required
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions, inquiries and/or complaints
- Courtesy, professionalism and respect when dealing with others
- Ability to react well under pressure, handle multiple demands at one time, work with frequent interruptions and perform duties and tasks at expected levels of professionalism, assess situation and determine if school safety or security is in jeopardy
- Sufficient human relation skills to resolve confrontation, affect behavior of others and convey a positive image of the school
- Ability to observe accurately, recalling faces, names, descriptive characteristics and facts of incidents and places.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to administer first aid in emergency situations (training will be provided)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences among individuals and groups of persons
- Working knowledge of current effective security measures; working knowledge oflaws and ordinances governing the behavior in private buildings and schools; working knowledge of fire prevention and fire control (training will be provided); working knowledge of crowd control, evacuation and lockdown procedures; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with students, staff, parents, outside vendors and the general public; ability to keep prepare reports; ability to express ideas clearly,both in orally and in writing; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Normal working hours depend on the specific position, which is full-time. Certain days of the year may require the guards to change or modify their hours. All employees are expected to exhibit flexibility with their schedule
Resumes, accompanied by a thoughtful letter of interest outlining how your experience aligns with the challenges of the position and Avenues' mission, may be submitted through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Encontre seu futuro na Avenues: faça parte de uma equipe que está redefinindo a educação ao redor do mundo.
Explore as mais recentes descobertas sobre educação global nos nossos câmpus em três continentes.
Veja nosso diretório de contatos, incluindo o escritório central da Avenues e nossos câmpus globais.
Voltar ao topo