New York, NY, United States
Upper Division (NYC)
Position: Dean and College Counselor, Grades 10-12
Location: New York, NY
Start date: August 2020
WHO ARE WE?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues' distinctive academic program makes our graduates uniquely compelling applicants for the most selective postsecondary pursuits. Deans provide individualized support and expertise, helping identify the best fit for students based on their passions and aspirations. A Dean is a leader (also mentor, cheerleader, confidant, and occasional tough-love-giver) who supports students' wellbeing, partners deeply with their families and supports their journey to what's next. Above all, deans build powerful, lasting relationships with students that extend for years during, and then beyond, their time at Avenues.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Foster students' wellbeing, through powerful relationships and mentoring
- Advise and guide 80-90 students and their families across grades 10-12. Your students will feel known, mentored and supported; their families will rave about you.
- Be a key mentor and supporter in the life of each of your students
- Be a highly effective support system around the diverse challenges students encounter during high school
- Ensure that Avenues effectively supports each student to thrive, following through with colleagues and families to best support each unique individual
- Teach, and help refine, an advisory curriculum focused on wellbeing and preparation for postsecondary success
Guide students to well-chosen, great-fit, selective pursuits after high school
- Expertly guide the entire college process, leading to students wisely choosing desirable, selective post-secondary pursuits where they'll thrive
- Ensure students and families feel well informed and prepared for the college process
- Anchor the college process in powerful relationships with students and their families
Join a dynamic, collaborative team
- Enthusiastically contribute to a deans team dedicated to the wellbeing of Avenues students
- Be a relentlessly resourceful and collaborative colleague, partnering with faculty, student support, division leaders, and families on students' success, growth and happiness
WHAT YOU BRING
If this role is for you, you'll read what's below and feel, "that's me!"
- You love and respect teenagers. You feel deeply passionate about supporting them to learn, grow and thrive as people
- You're energized by both dimensions of this work: the holistic support for students and the strategic college counseling
- You believe that going to college should be about finding a right match for each student
- You can build deep relationships with high school students and their families, as strong partnerships with families are key to student success
- You have several years of experience in college counseling and/or admissions
- You communicate in lucid, compelling ways with a high level of accountability and responsiveness
- You navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- You effectively handle multiple priorities in a fast-moving environment
To learn more and apply, visit the Careers section of Avenues website: http://www.avenues.org/careers.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Encontre seu futuro na Avenues: faça parte de uma equipe que está redefinindo a educação ao redor do mundo.
Explore as mais recentes descobertas sobre educação global nos nossos câmpus em três continentes.
Voltar ao topo