São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Dean of Students, Grades 6-9
Location: São Paulo
Start date: July 2020
Why work at Avenues?
Avenues, offering a trulyglobal education, in New York and now in São Paulo, is expanding to some of the world’s leading cities in the next few years. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
An Avenues Dean of Students is an advisor, a teacher, a listener and a primary support person who works with students and parents, both individually and in groups, on educational, social and emotional development needs, life skills, course planning and problem solving. Students are assigned to a Dean upon entering sixth grade and remain with that Dean until the end of ninth grade. This ensures continuity of support, offers stability during the transition from a middle to an upper grades program and enables deans to establish lasting personal relationships that best address students' needs. A Dean works with cohorts of approximately 25 students in each of grades six, seven, eight and nine. Deans work closely with teachers, the Student Success Team and other school leaders to make the secondary experience a rewarding one for each student and family.
Deans also play a leadership role in Secondary Division, reporting to the Director of Deans and College Counseling and advising the Head of Secondary Division.
Nurture students' growth and development
- Advise and guide a total of 90-100 students and their families in grades 6-9 each year. Your students will feel known and well supported; their families will rave about you.
- Teach, and help develop, a socio-emotional learning curriculum
- Develop strong, ongoing relationships with parents and students
- Monitor and guide students' academic progress and social and emotional well-being
- Uphold high standards of personal conduct by students, including addressing disciplinary infractions
- Be the primary point of contact for parents and colleagues about individual students
- Facilitate a smooth transition for students to the upper grades
- Lead daytime and/or evening programs for parents and students on special topics
Be a leader
- Develop plans to support students' success in school, and follow through with colleagues and families to ensure student needs are met
- Be relentlessly resourceful and highly collaborative, guiding colleagues on how to best support each individual student's success, growth and happiness
- Serve on the Division Head’s Leadership Council, contributing to school leadership
What you bring
5+ years of experience working with adolescents
- Strong experience with advisory and socio-emotional development curriculum
- Extraordinary ability to build relationships with middle school students and their families
- Ability to identify opportunities to support students, take action and mobilize resources on their behalf
- Deep understanding of developmental stage and socio-emotional needs of middle schoolers, and a range of proven approaches to address them
- Clear, compelling communicator in speaking and writing, individually and in large groups
- High emotional intelligence to navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, able to smoothly handle multiple priorities, tasks and deadlines
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
Explore timely insights into global education from our campuses on three continents.
View our directory of contacts, including Avenues’ headquarters and our global campuses.
back to top