New York, New York, United States
Upper Division (NYC)
Position: Science Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 9-11)
Location: New York, NY
Start: August 2020
Why Teach at Avenues?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. The schedule gives teachers an extraordinary amount of time to collaborate every day. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
At Avenues, science teachers ensure that students act and think like scientists every day: asking questions, conducting experiments, and trying to make sense of phenomena. In grades 9-11, we engage students in an interdisciplinary project-based curriculum that integrates fundamental concepts from the physical and life sciences. Beyond this core sequence, students pursue advanced study in physics, chemistry, biology, cosmology, and psychology.
As an Avenues science teacher you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes in physical and life sciences and engineering practices, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address diverse individual needs
- Design, implement, and refine project-based learning experiences that provide students access to curricular content and skills through authentic, purpose-driven, real-world projects
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues both inside the classroom and during extensive co-planning time to refine science curriculum and develop interdisciplinary projects
- Use a standards-based assessment system to provide students with frequent, authentic, meaningful feedback that allows them to monitor and reflect on their own learning
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Use state-of-the-art information technology to support students and provide them access to the full resources of knowledge available online.
What You’ll Bring
Avenues Science teachers bring all or most of the following:
- A strong science background and at least five years teaching experience in high school science
- Comfort teaching general concepts in both physical and life sciences as well as advanced coursework in biology, chemistry, or physics while incorporating connections from other disciplines in order to build a rich integrated science program
- A familiarity with specialized topics in computer science, earth and space science, engineering design, environmental science and sustainability, algebra and calculus-based physics, research experiences for students, or technology integration; we highly value candidates who will help us develop a rich program of rigorous core content and electives
- Experience in designing, developing and guiding students through rigorous science-focused and interdisciplinary project-based learning experiences
- A commitment to student success beyond the science curriculum especially in “metacurricular” skills such as collaboration, critical thinking, communication, metacognition, and persistence
- A focus on students as children and a recognition that healthy social and cognitive development is our primary charge
- An enthusiasm for working with students and their families as individuals with disparate yet valuable gifts
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
Explore timely insights into global education from our campuses on three continents.
View our directory of contacts, including Avenues’ headquarters and our global campuses.
back to top